Thursday, October 8, 2009

starts with a prayer. ends with a swear.

School has started, but more importantly INTRAMURAL sports has started.

I'm no longer a student, but I'm back. I think this is my 4th year playing (give or take).

Every year we have an intramural soccer team. This year the team looks more like the crew then anything else. If we don't beat you on the pitch then we'll smoke you on the dance floor. Guaranteed.

I love playing soccer and intramurals tends to foster strong competitive natures in people.

Everyone jokes about church basketball being the "only brawl that starts with a prayer" -- but I think that sums up most intramural sports in general.

4 years of sports and NEVER have I gotten a card. Not even a warning of any kind.

Until last night.....

I haven't been in the best mood lately, so I guess it was inevitable something would happen --

There was probably 1:30 left in the game and we were down 4-2 (which by the way, both goals were mine! They were the result of some great passing and ball movement, so I won't take full credit) I went in and challenged this guy for the ball. It was a pretty rough challenge and he ended up on the ground. The whistle blew and they got the ball. I had no problem with the call. I turned to get back on defense when one of the guys teammates comes up to me and calls me something that's definitely not on BYU's list of approved words.

And I reacted. (In a way I never imagined)

I didn't even hesitate before before yelling "what the f*%@ man" -- and then I pushed him.

Well, I was booked and ejected from the game immediately. But not before Brian was right there pushing people as well. The other team looked stunned. (If you're going to run your mouth, you better back it up)

My first reaction as I was sent off was to apologize to the refs. The last thing you really want to do is tick them off because they can keep you from playing.

I do feel bad about the way I handled the situation. BUT - for the first time in my life I did not let someone do something, or say something to me and just let it go. I have spent my whole life brushing off comments or actions and moving on. By nature I'm just not a fighter. A lot of people have told me I need to stand up for myself and not let others do certain things to me.

Although my actions were definitely not the appropriate way to stand up for myself-- I'm glad I did it.

And I would do it again.....


5 comments:

MeganandClaudy said...

i wish I could do that...minus the f bomb. I'm the same way...I let people get away with too much. I'll try and let you inspire me the next time something happens...

Kailynn Cooper said...

Man I wish I was there! I miss watching you guys and Dallas misses playing with you all. We wish you the best of luck this season!

Krista & Tyler said...

You are one crazy - shut yo' mouth-! Way yo go kyle! I think you should know that when I read this aloud to Tyler, he totally did his high pitch laughing :) my favorite.

We've even happier that Brian partook in the action. Hilarious.

Keep it up, minus the violence. You must be the change you wish to see in the world. xoxox

Karlie Hancock said...

Ha ha ha I heard about this after you told Kory :) I think it's awesome that you pushed the guy. Serves him right!

Kourtney and Jake said...

Dang Kyle! I can't believe that I missed that!! That sounds so rad hah. You better put on a good show the next game, but no more cards... or F words.. :) Love you