Monday, July 27, 2009

sytycd commentary.


I'm sore, tired and I missed work this morning.

Why? I auditioned for sytycd (so you think you can dance) this past wknd and it's a pretty intense experience.

Ok, so first off, I have to admit that I have probably only sat down and watched 1 entire episode from beginning to end. (note: This is frowned upon when you're auditioning to be on their show). In all fairness, I have watched some of the dances on youtube.

From what I understand about the show, the first round shown is the solo round. Technically this is the third round of auditions. By this point in time you have done 2 free
style rounds and a series of interviews and other miscellaneous camera stuff.


Let me tell you the general order of things;

day one:
wait in line for hours
meet friendly dancers from all over
have producers get you excited about being in front of camera
spend lots of time doing flips & tricks on the concrete to get optimal camera time
get back to waiting
go inside and sit down with several thousand other dancers
*you're sent to the stage in groups of 10. they play a song and you go one at a time for about 10-15 seconds till they say next. then if they like you, you get a golden ticket.
get a headshot pic taken
now turn in your solo music to the audio guys
do your "signature move" for a slow-mo camera ( SO sick!)
bust-a-move for about a minute doing the stupidest dancing you can muster up
get interviewed by a producer ( my producer said my tag line would be the Mormon
breakdancing missionary who gave up dancing and his friends for a girl)

day two:
more waiting in line
run across the street looking excited for the cameras (you'll do like 7 takes)
go inside and get seated in a row of 10
interviewed more in depth by another producer
back to the stage for freestyle round 2 -- same thing as before--if they like you, you stay to do your solo
wait for everyone else to dance
dance your solo in front of nigel, mary and mia
have them critique you
get cut (this is all the expertise i can offer, as this is where I have been booted both times now)


In case you were wondering, after I finished my solo here's what the judges said;
Nigel - good tricks, but nothing they haven't seen before (No)
Mary- not enough gas to finish strong (No)
Mia- could have used more audience connection, but liked it (Yes)

Overall this wknd was a wonderful experience. I met some great dancers with amazing stories and some with even more amazing technique. I love watching all types of dance forms and this kind of competition is the biggest melting pot I've ever seen.

I do have a small problem with this past wknd; judging

Our friend Ashley (amazing dancer) got cut in the second freestyle round. She killed her freestyle set and they sent her packing. I have one suggestion. There needs to be a judge present who understands hip-hop dancing and bboying. I heard some of the most bizarre critiques on some of the bboys and hip-hop dancers.

I kept hearing them say "well we have seen that before".

Of course they have seen that before, just like they have seen dancers do arabesques, rond de jambes, fondus and countless other dance moves before. I didn't hear them tell the ballerina they had already seen all her moves before. What about the ballroom partners who did a Cha Cha that looked strikingly similar to the couple who went right in front of them.

So, my suggestion. There should be someone there who can judge the technique behind the bboy moves and hip hop movements so the judging can be a little more fair. I saw some great lockers, poppers and other bboys/bgirls get cut who were told there moves were nothing new.

That's some wack judging. Haha.

What a great experience overall though! I'm excited to watch the Salt Lake City audition episode to see if Groundhounds gets any air time.

I'm thinking it's a definite possibility.....


4 comments:

Breanna said...

I'm so glad you went. And a yes from MIA! That's enough to make anyone happy. I'll record the SLC auditions for sure!

leah marie said...

Mia said yes!!! And. I like your tagline haha...funny how your life can be summed into one sentence... : )

PEACE.LOVE.FOOD said...

that's so cool that you auditioned! and at least got one "YES" :)

danica said...

when are they gonna air the slc auditions?? i've gotta make sure to see that one! especially the part where sloth & nigel got into an arguement.