Wednesday, September 2, 2009

country songs & breakdancing.

So, for some reason I have felt the need to listen to country music the past few days. My knowledge of country music is limited to a few artists; Tim McGraw, Rascal Flatts and of course Garth Brooks. Garth was a favorite of my mom and has passed that on to me. I was listening to a song called Rodeo on the way to work this morning....

That's me.

Well, kind of... I'm obviously no cowboy, despite my Texan upbringing. And perhaps a couple other elements might be a little off, but as a whole I am definitely feeling a bond with this song and my own experiences with breakdancing. Here's the lyrics, with a little personal commentary....

His eyes are cold and restless
His wounds have almost healed
(I'm not sure the wounds ever really heal)
And she'd give half of Texas
Just to change the way he feels
Well she knows his love's in Tulsa
And she knows he's gonna go
Well, it ain't no woman, in flesh and blood
It's that damned old rodeo.

(
It's breakdancing... no other girls)

Well, it's bulls and blood
It's dust and mud
It's the roar of a Sunday crowd
It's the white in his knuckles
The gold in the buckleHe'll win the next go 'round
It's boots and chaps
It's cowboy hats
It's spurs and latigo
It's the ropes and the reins
And the joy and the pain
And they call the thing rodeo.

She does her best to hold him
When his love comes to call
But his need for it controls a man
And her back's against the wall
And it's "So long girl, I'll see ya."
When it's time for him to go

You know the woman wants her cowboy
Like he wants his rodeo

Well, it's bulls and bloodIt's dust and mud
It's the roar of a Sunday crowd
It's the white in his knuckles
The gold in the buckle
He'll win the next go 'round
It's boots and chaps
It's cowboy hats
It's spurs and latigo
It's the ropes and the reins
And the joy and the pain
And they call the thing rodeo.

It'll drive a cowboy crazy
It'll drive the man insane
And he'll sell off everything he owns
Just to pay to play the game
And a broken home and some broken bonesIs all he'll have to show
For all the years that he spent chasin'This dream they call rodeo.

(Point taken. In the long run, chasing this dream will only lead to regrets in other areas of life)

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a stretch. But I seem to be finding some kind of relationship between my life and almost all of the media I take in.

6 comments:

Krista & Tyler said...

You should listen to that song on his Double Live album. My favorite version.

Come see us soon!

MeganandClaudy said...

i've loved this song for years! Good pick! Country really does have the best story lines...there's nothing like a little country to soothe your soul

Sarah said...

You know things are getting bad when you can compare your life to a country song. JUST KIDDING!! Country is so real, that's why I love it.

And I knew I loved your mom. Garth Brooks has always, always, always been my favorite. I just learned I live 20 minutes from him and it takes all I have to not stalk him! My friend literally ran into him at the mall 2 weeks ago. She was chasing her 2 year old son and bumped into him.

Sarah said...

Oh, is that a pic of you?

Kourtney and Jake said...

AHAH I knew one day you'd see my side and find your inner love for country :)

Breanna said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH. you've converted to the dark side! Or the slow twangy side that is. It's a terrible way to die, either way.