Monday, January 11, 2010

inside.

in•side

-noun 1. the inward nature

Actually that definition on Dictionary.com doesn't show up until you've scrolled down the page where you will find it sitting at #12.

I've been living back at home for several months now and have had some wonderful teaching opportunities. My students range from crazy hormonal teens @ 6:30 a.m. to mature and wise senior citizens on Sundays.

Think about stereotypes surrounding these 2 groups :



Ok, so you might not look at old people and think bad drivers or look at teens and think they are a group completely self absorbed and looking to get away with whatever they can.

But. . .

You have your own perception of these groups and many other groups. Think about these words and the judgement you pass when you hear them :

fat
beautiful
ugly
black
old
young
messy

I owe my kids and my senior citizens a lot. They teach me to not see out of control teens or senile old people. They teach me to look past the exterior and to see the inward nature.

1 comment:

Cordelia said...

Love this. It is human nature to put people into categories - it's how we organize our world - but we need to remember to look deeper than labels. Thank you for reminding us :)