Friday, January 8, 2010

potential.


po • ten • tial

-adjective 1. possible, as opposed to actual

-noun 1. a latent excellence that may or may not be developed

It's likely that someone has said this to you at some point in your life :

"you have so much potential" - and most likely it was said to you with sincere feelings of optimism for your future undertakings.

I would suggest that this phrase is simply a polite way of saying "you are not where you need to be". In order to avoid plagiarism let me cite my mission president as the source of this fresh outlook. President Christopher Munday, recently called to the 70 made it clear to us as missionaries that the time for "potential" was over and that the time for action was NOW. Consequently, I can't help but smile when someone tells me "oh you just have such great potential".

Thank-you.

Think about the definition of potential. Literally it means you have done NOTHING. Haha

Many of us get overly excited and perhaps a bit prideful when we hear about our great potential. We should probably keep those joyous feelings in check and instead take a more reflective approach.

What good is a 12 cylinder car that runs on only 6 cylinders or worse yet is never even turned on? It's just another piece of metal sitting in a parking lot.

So the next time you hear about your potential think of yourself as the 12 cylinder car running on only 6 or perhaps you're not even turned on.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I don't want to be potential. I don't want to grow old and still be potential. I can't let that happen.

Around New Years many people set goals some even choose a theme to live by throughout the upcoming year. I know what the theme of this year will be for me -

Potential becomes Kinetic.

This is going to be a year of action.


5 comments:

Melanie said...

actions speak louder than words...GO FOR IT!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Whats up kyle

Its drew

I'm pretty sure you've told me i have great potential about a 1,000 times.

not I don't feel so cool about that anymore.

justified said...

Haha! Drew potential is great in the beginning!! You totally moved past potential already. You and Carson are freaking ballers now!! Totally kinetic! Haha

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!