Saturday, January 23, 2010

GRE.

GRE - a.k.a. Graduate Record Examination.

This is the ultimate test. Apparently it's meant to be something akin to the SAT or ACT on steroids.

This is the test you take once you've already finished with college so you can show a group of strangers (Admissions Committee) that you are worthy of attending more school.

I'm scheduled to square off with this beast on February 12 and it will probably be the single most important test of - MY LIFE. (no pressure)

Now, technically the test isn't the only thing the committee looks at. I've got a couple other ways to distinguish myself:

GRE scores
3 Letters of Recommendation
College GPA
Letter of intent

It doesn't look so bad at first glance. The GRE is only 1/4 of the items the committee will get to peruse. However, I should probably interject a quick story:

I went to visit the head of the graduate department for the BYU Communications program last Summer. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "So, I'm a little concerned my GPA might be a little low. How important is it?"
Dept. Head: "Well what's your GPA?"
Me: "2.9"
Dept. Head: (face of concern) "uumm, wow. Well it's not impossible to overcome that - but you will have to score really well on the GRE."

Ok, before anyone decides to comment on the 2.9, let me just say something in my defense. The GPA only takes into account the last 60 hours of courses. And I don't think taking Mandarin 101 was my best idea. When you fail a 4 credit class it seems to have a bigger effect than you first think. And as for some of my other classes; well let's just say I didn't think some of them were very important at the time and I was probably practicing flares, windmills and reverse handspins when I could have been studying. (It's too bad that I can't battle my way into the program. I'd smoke all those fools - no, but seriously)

Back to the GRE - Well, I've never been much of a test taker. My college years will attest to that and should further evidence be needed, my 2 practice tests will lay to rest any doubt. In fact somehow I managed to score better on the math section than the verbal section. Good grief. I'm not even sure how that is possible.

The next 3 weeks are going to be intense.
SO.
Intense.

But I'm hopeful. I feel like I can pull this off. I'm going to score "well" (and by well I mean at least equal to or greater than the 2009 average score for students accepted into the program) I'll get my application looking sharp and turned in on time.

AND - by nothing short of a miracle (and we're talking the grand spectacle type - like Moses parting the Red Sea, or Elijah calling down fire from heaven) I WILL get into the BYU Communications Graduate Program for the Fall 2010 Semester!

Besides -the testing center I'm supposed to take the test at is located on TIMBERLAKE lane.

Coincidence? I think not.
Good omen? I think SO!

8 comments:

Kailynn Cooper said...

Good Luck!!! You'll do great!

Angela S said...

You'll do good!

Melanie said...

GO FOR IT! We're on your team and backing you up al the way!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kourtney and Jake said...

Timberlake Lane? Oh you totally got this

Ty Roney said...

You are a wise man and will dominate that test! The new look on my blog was way easy, it was just a new template on blogger!